Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Thing 18--Google Documents for productivity

I discovered Google documents a while ago, as I am a completely devoted fan of Gmail. It's been fairly useful when I've had to do some documents with my daughter in Japan. However, as I discovered when I did my ALA schedule in their spreadsheet, they do not play all that well with others. It was a ton of work to export a spreadsheet usable in Excel, or even as an email attachment. So it's just great if you are going to be working with a document in a web-based online environment, but may not be the solution for all business needs.

That said, it's a whole lot cheaper than licenses for Microsoft Office, and it doesn't take up a ton of room on your hard drive. I've also used it to park some really large attachments that I didn't want to save in email.It does that very nicely and seamlessly.

I hadn't really used Google Docs since July, so it didn't fill a crucial need for me. But I can imagine library customers finding it very useful. The sharing thing is particularly great for students doing short-term team projects.

I notice I do not have the ability to attach or insert a Google doc here--that might be a good direction for them?

No comments: