Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Thing 1.b

Going back to check on what Things I had and had not done so far (tick, tick), I saw I had never posted anything about the Web 2.0 class I took. It was Web 2.0: How to Teach the Public about Social Software with Instructor: Beth Gallaway. I enjoyed the class. The most useful thing I took away was getting people to create their usernames and passwords before they go to register on a site. There was also a snazzy handout on thinking outside the box--I have to dig it out.

Of the sites Beth showed us, the one that's had the farthest reaching consequences has been LinkedIn.
I've gotten in touch with all kinds of people through LinkedIn, including my former assistant froma library in NYC in 1994-95. It's been really great getting back in touch with her!

I'm still not to sure about teaching social software in classes. I usually help people one-on-one who want to set up email accounts. I can't really see doing much more--our public computers are too locked down to allow downloading or uploading. We'll have to see if there is a desire for more.

No comments: